How to make the Oriya eBooks available in Internet for free?

Latest Oriya, Indian and International books.
Who is reading what :: Book Reviews :: Suggested reading.
sabyasachi
Toddler
Toddler

Post by sabyasachi »

Hello friends,

As we know in our education, English has already taken the place of first Language. So, Parents are not taking much care to enhance the Oriya language skills in their children. Now-a-days youngsters are not reading Oriya literature, as it is not going to help them in their professional carrier in future.

I do not want to argue against the importance of English, but why are we not doing anything to make our native language to remain alive? Should we just watch it dying? In this internet age, Oriya ebooks are very rare. So, even if one wants, it is difficult to get an Oriya ebook. If Oriya literature doesn't embrace internet, it cannot survive.

There indeed some effort going on to make the Oriya novels available in internet. For Example: eodissa.com. I appreciate the people who are putting their effort in that.

However I have some ideas, to make the Oriya literature available faster and anybody can contribute in this:

1. We can Scan the Oriya books and convert to PDFs. [It is not necessary to user text recognition software. Simple images will do.]
2. If scanner is available, then we can take digital photographs of the pages, and then convert the photos to PDF. [Now-a-days everybody is having access to digital camera, if not to a scanner.]. It will be readable, I have tried this.

Advantages:

1. In this way we do not have to use Oriya fonts, softwares etc.
2. There is no need of text editing.
3. By spending a couple of hours in a weekend, we can produce one ebook.

I agree the quality may not be perfect. Size of pdf will be more. But we have a saying: “Naahi Mamu thaaru kana mamu bhala!!” I am not expecting the excellent things from few dedicated people but I am expecting the least from you all of you and the key point is, it will consume more time.

I have scanned and photographed few Oriya books, and I’ll be glad if anybody can join me. Please suggest where I can upload Oriya ebooks for your easier access. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks & regards,
Sabyasachi Mishra

Sponsor

Sponsor

Sukanya
Website Team
Website Team

Re: How to make the Oriya eBooks available in Internet for free?

Post by Sukanya »

Hi Sabyasachi,

It's really a great idea you have put forward. We have already received some softcopies of books and also some pdf's made from scanned images.
We are going to upload all them to a new website. Please share any sample you may be having so that we can have a couple of books for the initial release of the website. Later on any visitor can share similar ebooks on that website.

Please send any sample ebook you may be having to ORISSAFORUM<at>GMAIL<dot>COM

Best Regards.
Easy guide: Make post title descriptive | Avoid topics not related to Orissa/Oriyas | Read Orissa Forum Rules

sabyasachi
Toddler
Toddler

Post by sabyasachi »

Hello orissaforum,

I am glad to know about your plan for a new website. I have sent you (ORISSAFORUM--AT--GMAIL--DOT--COM) the below books:

1. Kanaka Upatyakara Kahani by Manoj Das - [Scanned by me. It is not protected by copyright.]
2. Chha Mana Atha Guntha by Fakir Mohan Senapati - downlaoded from an Oriya website (cover page added, chapters are combined and bookmarks added.)

Please let me know your opinion on these books.

Thanks & regards,
Sabyasachi Mishra

Sukanya
Website Team
Website Team

Post by Sukanya »

Hi Sabyasachi,

Thanks for your efforts. We have received the copies and will soon make them available for download on a new website.

Regards.
Easy guide: Make post title descriptive | Avoid topics not related to Orissa/Oriyas | Read Orissa Forum Rules

salil
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Re: How to make the Oriya eBooks available in Internet for f

Post by salil »

Hi Sabyasachi,

Would please send me a e-book of " Krushna Chandra Kar "