why orissa is not popular in india

Post here all news items and burning topics on Orissa for review by our members.

do you think oriyas are as cool as punjabis,bengalis or mallus?

Poll ended at Jan 22nd, '08, 15:09

a) cool
No votes
b) uncool
100%
c) dont know
No votes

Total votes: 1

pratap
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by pratap »

In our country India why an oriya is not as popular as an bengali,punjabi or as an madrasi(tamil).why dont we take pride for being an oriya,infact why we are unable to make our own identity,do we have any answers for this?????

Sponsor

Sponsor

srinivas_nyayapati
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Answer

Post by srinivas_nyayapati »

The answer to this question lies in this website itself. This question was posted on 15th Jan 08 - a good 45 days ago. While we have responses to recipes, we do not have any response to this question. The answer is application of the collective knowledge of Orissans and faster and progressive responsiveness towards the important aspects.

srinivas_nyayapati
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Answer

Post by srinivas_nyayapati »

to add to my response above... i registered to this site only today.

No.1
Seeker
Seeker

Post by No.1 »

I think "Odia" or "Oriyas" sound better than "Orissan" :!:
Mera No.1

maharaj
Toddler
Toddler

Just wait

Post by maharaj »

Guys wait a few more years... oriyans are taking the centre stage again.. :P :P :P

Avijeet

Post by Avijeet »

No.1 wrote:I think "Odia" or "Oriyas" sound better than "Orissan" :!:
I remember bashing a guy for saying Oriyas and Bengalis are the same state...
If Electricity Comes from Electrons the Does Morality Come from Morons ???

bapihot
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by bapihot »

Odias need to focus more outside the state. The guys especially in south are crazy to go out of their state. However, as far my knowledge goes, we are bit home/family oriented that keep us pulling back.

Mishraji
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Re: why orissa is not popular in india

Post by Mishraji »

first of all I would like to ask how to define cool ??

I would say everybody has a role to play if we have to make Orissa popular. First of all, Government should have more influence on center. People need to believe they are responsible for development of Orissa. We are no less that people of other state. Its only a matter of time when the latent talents of Oriyas will be out in public and people will appreciate it. I think the revolution has already started. We just need to keep the momentum going.

I have visited to US and Hongkong and always found Oriyas there. Lets not keep ourselves confined. Lets grow and create wonders.
~~Mishraji
Lets bring Orissa on global map.

Deep
Seeker
Seeker

Post by Deep »

You see, Oriyas are there wide-spread all across the globe. But the issue here is their confidence. People(some, not all) in high designations outside Orissa hesitate to say they are Oriyas. I can see all state people speak their own language in office while speaking to a colleague from their own state. But many Oriyas don't. I have seen a lady manager who approves everything if you speak to her in Tamil.

Outcome is, outside Orissa, we see only those Oriyas who do jobs of cook, watchman, security guards etc. because they confidently speak Oriya. And ofcourse, the young educated mass from Orissa are not far behind. The mind-set has already been changed. Just wait and see in a few months, you can find much more respect for Orissa everywhere.

hannahross
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Re: Just wait

Post by hannahross »

maharaj wrote:Guys wait a few more years... oriyans are taking the centre stage again.. :P :P :P

hey
its very nice go ahead oriyans all the best

Toshali
Toddler
Toddler

Post by Toshali »

In our country India why an oriya is not as popular as an bengali,punjabi or as an madrasi(tamil).

With all due respect to Begalis, Punjabis and Tamils. Don't you think they are equally unpopular in certain parts of the country. It's just that they have been more of them than us or may be we have been too nice to be noticed :D

why don't we take pride for being an oriya,infact why we are unable to make our own identity,do we have any answers for this?

May be most of us are poor and uneducated and too lazy to do something about it.

Sukanya
Website Team
Website Team

Post by Sukanya »

Yes, it's really nice to see Odias leave peacefully in any part of India whereas many others have inter-state uneasy-feelings.
Easy guide: Make post title descriptive | Avoid topics not related to Orissa/Oriyas | Read Orissa Forum Rules

anujpatra
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by anujpatra »

The Popularity of the state depends upon
1)Economy
2)Educational and Human resource developement
3)Cultural Background
4)Indusrial,Infrastructre ,Agricultural and tourism Developement
5)Government
6)Entrepreneur
7)Media
8)How the people of the state projecting their state to outer world

The above points are the key for Popularity of the state in India.
Take the example of Maharastra,Karnatak,Punjab,Gujurat,Tamilnadu,Andhra Pradesh,
these state fulfills the above key area.
No Place are bad,Only the people who belongs to it make the difference,We have great history,Rich cultural heritage,Full of mineral,water,forest and human resources But these resources has not been utilised over a period of time because of poor politics otherwise we would have been one of the strongest and popular state in India
We have everything only thing required "ATTITUDE" to make our state happening place in India
Lets all Oriya come together and take the responsibility to make our state Popular state in India.
Only "WE" can make the difference

TapasRamMisra
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by TapasRamMisra »

Historically, you could find an answer in the way Mr. Madhu Sudan Das had described Orissa while making out a case for creation of a Orissa province during British rule in India. He had called Orissa a "Colony within a colony" referring to parts of Orissa (as we see it today) being in Madras presidency and Bengal Presidency, and the struggle of oriyas for their own linguistic and cultural identity. Due to that historical past, Bengalis, Punjabis and others have had a head start in participating in the national mainstream.

Notwithstanding that historical disadvantage, you'll notice that Oriyas have made strides in the past two decades, at least. While admittedly our visibility in the political circle is still negligible, the same in bueraucracy is very high. Today one finds highly placed Oriya bureaucrats in almost all states of India and also in Delhi. None of them hide the fact that they're Oriyas and have done their bit to provide some standing to Oriyas.

In the past decade, the number of Oriyas getting into the civil services has gone down, but that also is a sign of progress as Oriya students have chosen to get into the corporate sector in a big way. Contrary to the rarity it was in the 1980s, today you'll find a large number of Oriyas at very senior corporate positions all over the country. It is a different fact that the Oriya common man is yet to celebrate this achievement the way he's been used to celebrating the news of Oriya students getting into the civil services. But we're surely getting there.

Although we've traditionally been an unobtrusive people, our presence is getting felt. Oriyas have become significant travellers, too. Be it a trip to any hill station or on an Amarnath Yatra or Manasarovar yatra, be careful if using any Oriya foul words because a large group of Oriyas will glare at you. Bumping into an Oriya in Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad etc., is no longer a novelty. In Surat, Oriya is the largest spoken language after Gujarati (not counting Hindi).

We're slowly getting noticed in the entertainment world, too. After so many interesting TV programmes you find the images of Jagannath, Balabhadra and Subhadra under the banner of Contiloe Films. In the movie "Aan", the hero is an ACP Patnaik, reportedly styled after a much respected IPS officer in Mumbai having the same surname.

Besides, our current Chief Minister has figured among the jury of the Economic Times Businessman of the Year awards.

These are positive signs that we need to notice, be proud of, and do our bit to replicate it as often as possible.

So much about Oriya. Now, to make Orissa better known or popular, we need to make it a happening place. People from outside must have an occasion to come to the state. Tourism, of course is the best bet for this, but there are several other options, too. A lot of people from various parts of India who have studied in the REC (now NIT), XIMB, Agriculture University or the medical colleges carry extremely fond memories of their institutions and the sorrounding areas. They act as great ambassadors for the state. With new private institutions such as KIIT and a host of other such colleges, we are creating more such ambassadors.

Government's policy of inviting investment in the industrial sector had resulted in the inflow of business travellers into the state that saw significant increase in flight connectivity to Bhubaneswar. If there is less opposition to industrialization and industries are allowed to set up and operate, this number will keep increasing significantly.

We Oriyas living outside Orissa can contribute by making friends with others and turning into ambassadors. I had taken a mixed group of neighbours to watch a performance of 'Patent Medicine' and they all remembered 'Sa'antani', 'Makara' and 'Usman tara' for a long time. These people have been inspired to go see the thrill of Bhitara Kanika, Simlipal etc., in addition to Puri, Konark and Bhubaneswar.

So there is a good time coming, guys. Be a part of the crowd wherever you live but notify that you're from Orissa whenever there is an opportunity. A lot of us make the mistake of desperately clinging to 'I am Oriya' identity and mixing only with Oriyas to the complete exclusion of others. This makes them 'uncool' in the eyes of the people around them.

stellar
Kiddie
Kiddie

Post by stellar »

Hi,

I think we don't have any answer of this question. I know pujabi and madrasi are very famous, but orissa is not a popular place. May be no one knows about it's culture.

Stella