Internet service in Orissa

Post here all news items and burning topics on Orissa for review by our members.

Deep
Seeker
Seeker

Post by Deep »

What is the present internet availability in places inside Orissa? Previously it was so difficult to get an internet connection at home and expensive also. I believe BSNL has stopped the Sancharnet dial-up internet system and started the new Account-less Internet service (see details)

Code: Select all

http://www.orissa.bsnl.co.in/clianddias.htm
Now they have specified properly almost all the details. Anyone using this please advise. i have a very bad experience with BSNL's previous Sancharnet and dont want to take the risk. (Just a note: my home place does not have broadband connectivity.)

As far as the internet cafe's are concerned, their rates remain the same and even increasing. Dont know why. Five years back there were internet cafe's in Bhubaneswar and Cuttack providing net at Rs 10 per hour and at the same time some others charging as high as 35 rupees per hr. And at my place in Dhenkanal or Angul, it was 20-40 rupees. Even few months back, i was stunned to see no change in their rates.

Remembering again BSNL Orissa's Sancharnet story, I'm planning to post my incidence in the "Consumer's" section. Let's first hear of their new system.

Sponsor

Sponsor

akash
Kiddie
Kiddie

Airtel

Post by akash »

But I have heard that the AIRTEL network has given the connection through the mobile card in 199/- per month with unlimited access. This is not for commercial purpose. And responding to your points there are so many changes in the net cafes rate also. Just have a visit to Orissa now You will feel orissa is not also lagging behind.
AKASH
The lover boy

aahwaan
Disciple
Disciple

Hey Friends

Post by aahwaan »

I must tell you that no doubt the rates of the Internet browsing is not coming down as one would expect it, and one of the causes may be that earlier the internet browsing centers used the dial-up access of the internet of BSNL which was cheaper and so they took Rs 20-40 at the time, now that theuy all have switched to more better options like BSNL Dataone Broadband services, now the speed are much faster and the rates are hence high, but comparing the rates the services has grown many folds in the last five years in Orissa.

I use Internet on a Fixed wireless Phone provided by thee Reliance Infocom, for a sum of Rs 400 for unlimited internet browsing in the night time only (From 10:00 PM to 8:00 AM) and the speed is also better at 115KBPS>

Thanks.
Dr Jyoti Prasad Pattnaik, MBBS,DMCH, PGDHM
Founder, Editor, Web Master "Aahwaan"
http://www.odinews.in

arun
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by arun »

I have used BSNL Dial Up, HCL Infinet Dial Up (in 2002-04) and Tata Indicom(2006). From my experience I think Tata Indicom is the worst (with respect to service n cost). And BSNL Dataone is the best (I have used it for short time though !).
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)