shame on us oriyas

The Oriyas worldwide. Let's share our experiences, lifestyle, problems, losses and gains and the missing factor.
jatin
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

shame on us oriyas

Post by jatin »

shame on us oriyas
i recently met some oriya guys in banglore who would faeel ashamed of identifying themselves as oriyas. they told to others that they are from calcutta, when actually they are from kendrapada.why are oriyas ashamed of themselves. why does the tag of being a backward society still goes on with us. why does orissa figure in the national news only for bad reasons. u will find many people who will no nothing of orissa, but talk about length about ulfa in assam. many of my learned non oriya friends are not able to trace the geographical location on orissa, they say orissa assam me hai kya?. the fact is we oriyas have succeeded individually but as a society we are a big failure. we think very great of ourselves but people identify us as bhooke nange ( starving & naked) people. there mmight be some exagerration in thier saying. but when i see cities like bangalore, hyderbad( not to speak of Delhi and Mumbai) i feel bhubaneswar is a small town and cuttack is a village. also oriyas are known as good for nothing, bloody lazy, (they call us Kamchor, i.e, extremely lazy people). this also has some element of truth in it, i have seen our people work and also others, i feel we are really very easy going people. we depend upon others do clean our own shit. our work output if compared to non oriyas is extremely poor. let us change all this. let us really do something that we might feel really proud of our selves, like the punjabis, the soouth indians, gujratis, marathis, the sindhis and our close relatives our dear bengalis! instead of being like a well in the frog oblivious of everything.let us work hard and improve the image of our really backward state, so that our guys would not feel ashamed of thier being oriya and will not explain others that we are like bengalis only. vande utkal janani

shame on us oriyas

Sponsor

Sponsor

sujata
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Disagree

Post by sujata »

Things are not like that Mr. jatin. Suggest you to mingle with as many people as possible from different cultures and places. The esteem they show for Orissa is tremendous.

It's the media that bears the most important responsibility for showcasing the state to outsiders. Think, what will someone generally do if he/she is planning for a trip to Orissa? He/She will open the internet and search. And it's our responsibility (and of this forum) to give them the correct insight. Let's bring forward the best of Orissa here and everywhere on the internet. Hope this gives some ideas to all OrissaForum members to reflect.

No intention to hurt the sentiments though.

dilseraja
Toddler
Toddler

Plus Minus

Post by dilseraja »

Yes, I do agree to an extent that our people try to hide the truth. But I proudly say that I am from Orissa and yes I carry the image and richness of oriya culture. Lets join hands and lead this marathon for orissa!!
Proud to be an Oriya & an Indian!!

swaruprox
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by swaruprox »

Hi guys, I definitely agree that a few Oriyas feel ashamed to reveal their roots. But there are a few reasons for that. The ones who do that are basically unskilled and semiskilled workers who feel they will be endangering their livelihood by revealing their identity. But ask any skilled worker outside Orissa and I bet he will happily state that he is an Oriya. It there is no cultural bogey of Oriyas being lazy, unskilled or cheats. He is just another person who works outside his state to earn a living.
I strongly disagree that Oriyas in general are lazy( or kamchor). The truth is very different. I work in an IT company in Calcutta and some of the better performers are Oriyas. Infact I am ranked better that all Bong or Northy colleagues in my account and I being an Oriya never came in my way of being that. Its time we stopped looking at ourselves as poor backward villagers who behave strangely in big places. Of course some Oriyas do that, thats not what everyone does. Its time we move from the image of being a state with backward people to a state which abounds with talent. For that we need a lot more responsibility as an Oriya. We should remember that every time we do something positive it not only us which earns respect, its our state too.
I hope people refrain from posting opinions which are derogatory in nature and instead provide sound advice as to how improve the situation. This would be a step in the right direction.
Swarup

bapihot
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by bapihot »

I am ready to join the team. Let's put all the fact and information on this forum to help each other. You will find a lot of sites for other communities intended towards this.

Moderator : Please create a few forum index such as... Online deals, Guide for H1B etc, Job openings... so that we can put the info.

Thanks

Avijeet

Post by Avijeet »

bapihot wrote: Moderator : Please create a few forum index such as... Online deals, Guide for H1B etc, Job openings... so that we can put the info.
Message received, we will come out with a solution asap
regards
Avijeet
If Electricity Comes from Electrons the Does Morality Come from Morons ???

S K 2
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

We are Oriyas

Post by S K 2 »

I agree with this. Most of the oriyas living our side Orissa feel shame to identify themselves as oriyas. It is not only the lowerclass people or the semi skilled labourers but the people working at good positions in different organisations. When I know somebody as oriya and try to speak to him in Odia they answer in Hindi or English. The reason for this is mainly two ( as I think). 1. People think by identifying self as oriya will down their image amoung their co-workers or in the organisation. As others will come to know that he is from Orissa where KALAHANDI exists.
2. The other oriyas will ask for his/her favour for something or other. One of the greatest quality of our people, that I observed, is to pull down the other oriya when he is standing up. Not to help somebody in trouble,
but to laugh at him in the back.
I was a member of another oriya site in yahoo groups. But within a month I discontinued it as they use to send 10/15 mails a day about their fight as to who is the founder of that forum.

This is my experience and I hate to be an ORIYA.

Thanks

Avijeet

Re: We are Oriyas

Post by Avijeet »

Well everybody has their opinion...
S K 2 wrote: 2. The other oriyas will ask for his/her favour for something or other. One of the greatest quality of our people, that I observed, is to pull down the other oriya when he is standing up. Not to help somebody in trouble,
but to laugh at him in the back.
Even i have a lot of experience of that, and thats a part of us Oriyas that i dislike, but im proud to be a Oriya, atleast we are not silly geese like Raj thackrey who drive people away from a state :lol:

arunkdash
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Re: shame on us oriyas

Post by arunkdash »

I am staying at Noida for last two years. There are many Oriya fellows staying around and are working in many high offices. But the strange thing is that all most every one is talking to their children in hindi. Their kids are not able to speak in oriya. Both husband and wife are talking in Oriya but when they are talking to their kids, the language is Hindi. I have questioned a few for this but the answer is very strange- the kids will not able to adjust in school.

I have two kids and I am outside Orissa for last 20 years. My children are as fluent in Hindi as in Oriya or in English. This is a Myth. My request to all oriya loving fellows to please love your mother tounge. We compaire our selves with others but have you seen two bengalis talking in hindi ? Or two keralaites or tamils or telugus talking in Hindi? We oriyas are doing such shameful thing and depriving our next generation from Odia identity.
Parents talking to children in Hindi is such a sad state that I used to cry why Oriyas are so lack of cofidence? Ashamed of taking in own language!!

Very Sad.

Avijeet

Post by Avijeet »

arunkdash wrote:I am staying at Noida for last two years. There are many Oriya fellows staying around and are working in many high offices. But the strange thing is that all most every one is talking to their children in hindi. Their kids are not able to speak in oriya. Both husband and wife are talking in Oriya but when they are talking to their kids, the language is Hindi. I have questioned a few for this but the answer is very strange- the kids will not able to adjust in school.
I was in Orissa a month ago, for my exams and I met a few fellow students who stay in BBSR, but they were not willing to speak in Priya with me, they went on in a mix of Hindi-English.
Eventually I asked them about it, their response was:
"well hindi and english are more popular" :roll:

anujpatra
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by anujpatra »

Its feeling very sad when we see a message like this "shame on us oriyas"
Our Own people hate their people and place
where are our value system gone? We as a Oriya have rich cultural heritage,We have our own unique identity.Some people have done thing wrong that does not mean that all belongs to same category.
We are from the place to which King Ashoka,Subhash Chandra Bose,,Gopabandhu,Great Visionary Biju Patnaik belongs.Its not the place,its the people make the difference.Because of our poor politics and attitude we suffered a lot,time has changed so as the people.
First of all we should feel proud of the place to which we belongs,then only our identity will come.First of all we are Oriya then X Y Z.If any person trying to deviate from it,he/she does not belongs to nowhere and "in no mans land" and have no identity
I feel very proud as a Oriya

Ajit
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by Ajit »

It would not help only if we are proud to be an Odia; we also are responsible for creating awareness and make people each section of Odia people feel proud of being an Oriya. Also I hope friends who are now proud of being Odia would retain the same spirit and interset through out their life even after having a family and kids.

stellar
Kiddie
Kiddie

Post by stellar »

Hi,

I am Stella and I think you should proud to be an Oriya. I think there is no need to fell shameful.

Stella

santanu
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by santanu »

How ever true it may be.. how could some one post a message saying "Shame on us Oriyas". What the moderators of this forum doing. Are you guys not filtering these messages.

This is very embarashing and sad to read. It takes years to build name and few mins to ruin it..
Please do not defame yourselves by such silly things..

Santanu

NK Mishra
Disciple
Disciple

Post by NK Mishra »

Tis forums aim is to enable free speech. So I think we should give full freedom for anyone to create a topic with any title whatsoever. After reading the first post in this topic, I think a appropriate name should be SHAME ON THSE ORIYAS or something similar.