Maintain the dignity of Odiyas

The Oriyas worldwide. Let's share our experiences, lifestyle, problems, losses and gains and the missing factor.
drnihar
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by drnihar »

Hi everybody

I am Dr Nihar Ranjan Ray working in Ahmadabad at FRHS as an senior research officer.
I have visited most part of India. Sorry to say but I saw there is little recognition of Odisa and Odiya.
First of all they pronounce it like Orissa and oriya. Everytime I insist on the pronounciation to the person does the mistake.
Even I have observed that odiyas don't utter with pride that they are odiyas. I know odiya people are very intelligent but the problem is that they are not well conversant with Hindi they are not extrovrt enough to focus there presence. I am pondering over this issue since years... my elited and enlightened odiya brothers & sisters can you suggest some ideas to alleviate the situation. I think it is the time you can do something at your level in locality

Sponsor

Sponsor

Deep
Seeker
Seeker

Re: Maintain the dignity of Odiyas

Post by Deep »

Hello Dr Ray,

I agree to your points mentioned here. However, want to discuss a little on the pronounciation part.

I may be ignorant, but most of us (including me) used to pronounce oRissa and oRiya until I saw the news in 2008 that the Government is working on amending the constitution and making them oDisha and oDia respectively. So I started talking of the actual pronounication thereafter. Today also I do talk oDisha and oDia. However, there is no news of change in the official spelling by the Government. Isn't that more important? What would a person pronounce when he/she sees the terms printed as oRissa and oRiya?