Panchalingeswara Temple is situated on the hilltop of the Eastern Ghats in Panchalingeswar, Nilagiri, Balasore district of Odisha. It’s a beautiful place for picnic and darshan of the Lord. A stream flows touching Lord Shiva in the temple. The five round natural stone structures called “Shiva Linga”s are worshipped as Panchalingeswara (Pancha means five in Odia). To feel the lingas under the stream of water, one has to lie flat on the rock.
Reaching panchlingeswar is kind of a difficult task and you will need to ascend 263 stairs in order to reach the temple. The stream and waterfall grow in size during the monsoons and the Pancha Lingas becomes difficult to locate by hand.
Apart from spiritual importance, Panchalingeswar is a real good picnic spot to enjoy with friends and family.
How to reach Panchalingeswar
Panchalingeswar is 8 kilometers away from Nilagiri and about 30 kms from Balasore, and 85 km from the town of Baripada. Regular transport options are available from all these places to Panchalingeswar.
Buses for Panchalingeswar are available from Balasore, Baripada, Chandipur, etc. Taxi, car transport is also available from these towns.
Land at Bhubaneswar airport and travel to Balasore via bus.
Balasore is the nearest railway station.
- Trains from Kolkata(Howrah): FALAKNUMA EXPRESS., EAST COAST EXP, COROMANDAL EXP, SRIJAGANNATH EXP, HWH YPR EXP, HWH PURI EXPRESS
- From New Delhi: PURSHOTTAM EXP, PURI EXP, NEELACHAL EXP, ORISSA SAMPARK KRNTI
- From Chennai Central (Egmore): COROMANDEL EXP, HOWRAH MAIL
You can hire a taxi till Sergarh which is 12 km from Balasore, take right and go straight till Nilagairi. Take the kachha road till the waist-line of the hills of Panchanlingeswara. Park your car and start climbing the steps made on the hills.
Local temperature: Max 40 degree Celsius; Min 14
Best time to visit Panchalingeswar: during Autumn and Winter (October-March)
Lodging and dining in Panchalingeswar
Good hotels are available in Balasore town. The Panthanivas at Panchalingeswar also provides accommodation for visitors. For Reservations, contact: Tourist Officer, Balasore, Near Police Line, Phone: 06782-240697
Places of interest in and around Panchalingeswar
- Walk approx 3 km from the temple via a tribal village, to experience the spectacular sight of the Khumkut Dam and a watch-tower.
- You can also visit Sajanagarh, the place of Budarachandi, a popular archaeological site.
- Nilagiri Hills is a nice trekking destination.
- Also visit Baulagadia village approx 5km from Nilagiri town, famous for stone-carving work on black granite.
- Remuna, wellknown for Vaishnavite culture
- Chandipur has lovely and quiet beach
- Chandaneswar has the temple of Lord Chandaneswar and the sea beach.
- Khiching famous for 7th century Kichakeswari temple and 10th century Chamunda temple
- Kuldiha Wildlife Sanctuary to have a glimpse of tigers, leopards, elephants, and a variety of birds and reptiles. Kuldiha Wildlife Sanctuary is connected to Similipal Wildlife Sanctuary.